New scam targeting photographers

Be vary the next time you receive a wedding inquiry from far away places , cause it might turn out to be a scam!! lol Here's how the email looks like .


"This is a requisition for your photography services. I am Guojun Li. Based in UK. I am contacting you in regard of my wedding. My wedding is coming up on September 11, 2010. I have been browsing the internet for a professional photographer in USA when I found your contact. Pleese I will want to hire your service to be the photographer on my wedding day in UK.

You will cover the whole events from Getting ready, Ceremony, and the Reception. I want you to capture the atmosphere of the event so that we can moment, photo by photo, for a life time. Capture all those little moments that make the wedding day incredible. Also, I will want you to make an album from the event.I will prefer popular flush mount albums that are custom designed.

I am of the opinion that you are capable to provide the incredible services as requested. Please accept my sincerest appreciation on behalf of my fiance, in advance for your willingness to render your services as I look forward to your prompt response to my request.

Pleese let me know if you will be able to make it.

Kind Regard,
Guojun Li"


and their modus operandi


This scam that targets professional photographers in the UK, US and maybe other countries is run by criminals in West Africa. It is a variation of a similar scam involving cars and other big ticket items sold in classified ads. The criminal poses as someone arranging a wedding. He contacts a professional photographer to book him for a wedding. Then he/she sends a large cashier's check as payment. The check is larger than the amount of the photography package.

The photographer is asked to cash the check and wire the extra amount to a third party, supposedly a wedding planner, a band or other entity associated with the wedding. The check is fake and the victim wires several thousand dollars of his own money to the criminals if he falls for this scam.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who Is The Real Boss